Sunday, June 29, 2008

my time in Luxembourg

Well, I was really nervous about spending time in another person's house that I really didn't know. However, when I met my host Luc, I knew I would have a good time. Turns out Luc, is really friendly and showed us a great time in Luxembourg. I met Luc on Friday afternoon, when we went to his beautiful house and Limousine beef farm, which surprisingly are connected and located in the "village" (town). We ate a classic Luxembourgish dinner, which consisted of bread and mozzarella cheese, which was delicious. After dinner we went out in the city where we met some of Luc's frineds, who spoke English. I was surprised to find out that most people in Luxembourg speak many languages, including, Luxembourgish, French, German, and English.

In the morning, we took a drive through many parts of Luxembourg and the edges of Germany and France. We saw beautiful landscapes, homes, and even a vineyard. We then had a delicious Italian lunch and went for an easy 3 mile hike through the forest. The path only had one steep part so the hike was very relaxing. After the hike, we went to a Luxembourgish wedding reception, which has many different traditions than in America. I didn't feel really out of place though becuase Derek, and his roomate Andre also ended up being at the wedding. What a coincidence.

After the wedding, we went to the barbeque with all the other host families. After the barbeque, we once again went back into the city for the night. In the morning, we woke up early and got pictures with the family which consisted of Luc, his mother, father, and grandmother.
Then we toured the city and I got a lot of good scenery pictures.

I must agree with Laurel, when she said that Luxembourgish driving is scary. If you think some Americans drive crazy just come to Luxembourg. However, I must say, I was really impressed by Luxembourg. The people are very friendly and very well educated. I had an amazing time and this has been the highlight of the trip.

Hannah

No comments: