Monday, July 5, 2010

Emily's stay

Hello from Emily, it has only been a day and a half away from my family, and I already miss their home and their company. My stay with them began with a walk around their home and looking at their beautiful animals. The Scheer Family consisted of Marc the father, Karen the Mother,and their 2 daughters. Nadean was the only daughter home so I spent most of my time with her, and she spoke very good English, because she went to New Zealand for 6 months to work on a dairy farm. Her excellent English really helped me understand what was going on and what her parents wanted to say to me about Luxembourg. Also the Scheer family had a kitty and a playful dog named Dior, who helped me learn that no matter what country you are in a dog will always be your companion. The Scheer family raises about 23 highlander cows, and has 2 horses named Beauty and Miley ( Miley was not named after Miley Cyrus, if you were wondering). Our first meal together consisted of some highlander meat ( One of their own), salad, bread, cheese, and fries. And for dessert we had chocolate moose. The whole meal was delicious.
The next day, I had limited time with my family because we spent all day at the Luxembourg national show, where I lead two sale calves in the Luxembourg International sale. Nadean even saw me lead my animals and translated the crazy auctioneer's lingo! The following day was a full day of viewing Luxembourg, and enjoying each other and learning about each others culture. First, we went to J.P.'s dairy farm, a well known Luxembourg farmer. His farm was very beautiful and clean and had cool collar's on the milking cows to determine how much food they needed to be fed. Next, we headed to Luxembourg City and saw the history of the city and beautiful scenery of trees, and old buildings. Then, we had Chinese food for lunch, I have no idea why, but the food was good and satisfied our hunger needs. After a nice stroll in the city we went to the lake for a nice cooling swim. The sun was shinning and the water felt great. For dinner we headed back to the show to have a barbecue with all the other families. The barbecue was really fun and I found out that Morgan's host family is good friends with my family which I thought was really cool. With a late night of fun, we head back home for my final night with the Scheer family. The last day together we went and got Belgium chocolate at a local store.(sorry family and friends we ate all of the chocolate so none is coming home with me.) Then for our final meal together we had homemade Lasagna, which was a perfect meal to end a stay with my Luxembourg family that I will never forget.

No comments: