Monday, July 5, 2010

Morgan stay's with the Frisch's

I apologize in advance, my story is not to the caliber of Connie HA's.

So I stayed with Jean-Paul and Nicole Frisch - aka AMAZINGLY INCREDIBLE people. They live on a small farm-ette in the country where they have a Bernese Mountain Dog (Yahnna- I apologize for any spelling errors), cat (Fritzie), six hobby sheep (of a local endangered Luxembourgish breed), and a few rabbits that they will eat.

Fortunately I can say that my stay with the Frisch family was truly incredible and everything I had hoped it would be. I never expected to meet such wonderful people prior to Ms. Nicole picking myself and Ariel (from SUNY Cobelskill) up at the bus stop. Immediately I noticed the typical Luxembourgish way of FAST driving- particularly around corners. In a speedily fashion we arrived to their house. It's a beautiful older home that Mr. Jean-Paul has spent 10 years renovating (I have pictures!). Our first evening with them we hung out and immediately noticed some potential challenges in regards to communication. They were not completely fluent when it came to English, but we were always able to hold on conversations and eventually understand what each other was saying. Ms. Nicole is an absolutely adorable woman and loves her pictures, so immediately she began showing us photos of their sons, puppies, house renovations, friends etc. We had spaghetti for dinner, then went on a walk with their dog. This was very refreshing as we had been cooped up on a bus all day.

The next morning we woke up and had cereal and coffee with Mr. Jean-Paul, then headed to the show, where he dropped us off. It was a hot day, but we still had a blast helping with the sale heifers, judging a class of 8 animals, and getting to know some people in the dairy show circuit in Europe (I especially enjoyed talking to a few fitters and breeders). Also, each kid got to lead a heifer or two in the sale, and I think we all enjoyed this as we miss our animals at home. The girls would also like me to include one particular event that struck a cord with us; the CRAZY Limousin heifer. CRAZY. So a few of us are in the sale tent, getting a few heifers ready before they head to the sale ring when we see this loose beef heifer run into a wood fence right outside of our tent. This catches our attention, but not quite enough because before we know it she is SPRINTING into the tent like a mad woman (have a mentioned she is HORNED?) running into the sale heifers, and headed straight for us! So of course we scatter- Rocco leaps over a fence & falls on his tush, Mandi screams and hides behind Sam, Wolfgang and I get out of the way, then we try to help corner her (not super smart because she is absolutely psychotic). Then these Luxembourgish men show up with sticks and attempt to calm her down (NOT SUCCESSFUL). Eventually they corner her and get a rope around her horns and stroke her shoulder. We moved the baby heifers that so happened to be trapped behind her. These men tried to lead her away... only for her to become loose again and have the men fall on their behinds and a few signs, and barn sidings fall down. EPIC.

The next day was just as wonderful as the day before. We woke up and had breakfast with Mr. Jean Paul and Ms. Nicole (yogurt, toast & coffee). Mr. Jean-Paul then took us to Mr. JP's farm (a big time Luxembourgish dairy farm). This was quite enjoyable but I will most likely remember watching Mr. Jean-Paul and the baby calves- PRECIOUS. He absolutely loves animals, and was getting down with the babies talking to them and looked to happy. On our way home we stopped by a old castle (and took pictures!). At home we met up again with Ms. Nicole and ate a huge tasty lunch- zucchini soup, waffles & sugar, and strawberries :). Next we made a stop at Ms. Nicole's student's exhibition. If I haven't already mentioned she is a teacher of 3 & 4 year olds and she lives for this job (and actually makes enough money to support the whole family as Mr. Jean-Paul does not work). The exhibition was all about 'dinos' or dinosaurs. I LOVED it, and took so many pictures. Ms. Nicole immediately was filled with joy and pride when we entered the building and it was QUITE the exhibit. We then headed for Luxembourg city, and along the way we passed Emily's host families Highlanders (where Mr. Jean-Paul abruptly and quickly pulled over to the side of the road so we could take pictures. Once we arrived to the city we bought tickets to do a touristy train ride through the old city. It was incredible- it has the charm of Edinborough, the people kind of like London, and the architecture of Paris- I LOVED it and would so want to live near there if it was an English speaking town. We then walked around the city and stopped at a local bar to rest and talk for a little bit. One fun part of this adventure was the German soccer enthusiasts after winning the game. Blow horns, flags, dancing, chanting, and OLAY OLAY OLAY OLAy were included. Then came the barbeque with all the host families and kids. On our way in I saw a man wearing a purple Cinch shirt which made me miss Kansas! And of course the barbeque was filled with laughs and good times.
The list includes:
-Granny's piggy back adventures with Bruce
-Bruce's subject choice of photography
-the breakthrough of Happiness and Sunshine
-Andre's idea of promoting your "milk yield"

Sunday was my last day with the Frisch family and luckily enough for Ariel G and I, their son Michel came home from fishing of some islands. At 8:30 he and his girlfriend arrived and we began a croissant eating extravaganza. Then he and Ketchen took us to Belgium to see the Memorial at Bastogne. This was quite appropriate as it was the 4th of July. In Bastogne we made a pit stop at a local restaurant and got to know Michel and Ketchen a little bit better (he speaks phenomenal English). But we had one place that they required we attend; The local Bistro. On our way back over the border we made a stop to be in two places at once- Belgium and Luxembourg. So the Bistro is where all the local youth hang out from 11am-1pm on Sundays. It was AWESOME.

Sadly, we returned to the house to eat a wonderful traditional Luxembourgish lunch, then said our goodbyes. I will forever remember these truly special people and hope that I will be able to maintain a relationship with them for the rest of my life.

<3 Morgan. aka the Queen Duchess of Fluff.

p.s. it is late, so I am not proof reading this- I apologize. and Margot- I MISS YOU! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did NOT scream and jump behind Sam!!! I screamed like a lil girl and jumped behind Lyle lol.
LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your blogs! The parts that I was along for I felt like I was totally reliving them and the other parts I felt like I was with you guys. All the entries are great and made me laugh! (Of course lovedddd the parts about Connie HA)
It was awesome meeting all of you gals from Maryland :)
-Mandy

Anonymous said...

haha Mandy I LOVE LOVE LOVE you! and I apologize about confusing Sam and Lyle lol.

~Morgan